About us

About the parish in Campbeltown

The establishment of the parish has its recent roots in the beginning of the 19th century. In 2016 the parish celebrated its bicentenary, the first priest to serve the parish being Rev. James Cattanach who is buried on the on the site of the current church building. The existing church was built in 1850 and the adjacent Chapel House in 1870.
The parish extends from the Mull of Kintyre up the peninsula to Kennacraig, and also includes the isle of Islay.

The Clergy

Bishop Brian McGee was appointed by Pope Francis to the Diocese of Argyll and the Isles in 2015, and was ordained in March of 2016.
He is currently located in the parish of St. Mary's, Benbecula, where he also serving the people there until a parish priest is appointed.

The parish priest in Campbeltown is Rev. Anthony Wood, who was appointed by Bishop Brian to the parish in September 2016. A happy co-incidence as the parish celebrated its bi-centenary in that month.
Share by: